Cockroaches – anybody can become a victim of them, and nobody wants them in their home. Cockroaches are unwanted for good reasons- they contaminate food and food prep areas, carry and transmit many human pathogens like bacteria and even parasitic worms, and can trigger asthma attacks in people particularly in very young children. It is very important to protect yourself and your home from becoming victim to disease ridden cockroaches by taking the steps necessary to prevent them from invading in the first place.
Believe it or not cockroaches do have some good qualities; they are very robust and resilient and have survived long past many other creatures; and when found outside they are very beneficial to the environment- they break down and get rid of decaying organic materials.
Now time for their bad qualities; before becoming a pest in your home cockroaches were living in or traveling through sewers, garbage, drains, feces, and animal carcasses. None of those places are the picture of cleanliness, meaning that all the germs and bacteria that are on their bodies and legs will be in your home on counters, in the pantry and kitchen, in bathrooms, in cabinets and drawers, and on utensils.
Knowing how to prevent cockroaches from gaining access to your home is the best way to prevent your home from being taken over by these pests.
- Keep cockroaches out of your home by making sure that any cracks in your home’s foundation are sealed, caulk gaps found around windows and doors- especially in basement areas, and install door sweeps underneath of exterior doors.
- Remove garbage from the inside of your home on a regular basis and store it in a sealed container, preferably with a locking lid, outside and away from the exterior of your home until garbage day.
- Reduce areas of moisture in and around your home. Make sure that your home’s gutters are not clogged and are working properly to direct moisture away from the outside of your house. Inside of your home make sure to use dehumidifiers and/or air-conditioners to reduce humidity levels.
- Keep pet food in plastic sealed containers, pick up and remove any uneaten pet food.
- Make sure to routinely wash dirty dishes in kitchen and pantry areas, pick up spills and crumbs, and clean behind large appliances. Food should be stored in plastic or glass containers with tight fitting lids or in the refrigerator, not out on counters or on the table.
- Inspect packages that are sent to your home before bringing them inside. Check items for rips, tears, and signs of cockroaches before purchasing them from the store.
Cockroaches are sneaky pests, and despite your best effort to keep them out, they could still find a tiny break in your defenses. If they have found a way into your home, don’t despair! The pest control experts at Schendel can quickly, safely, and effectively remove an infestation from your home.
Our Premium Care program provides initial interior and exterior services, along with follow- up quarterly visits to provide you with year-round protection against cockroaches and other common household pests. And with our Pest-Zero Guarantee- there is no charge for treatments that are needed between services! With SITA, you can be confident that cockroaches will be eliminated from your home and that they will be kept out of it for good! For more information about our home pest control services, please contact us today!